First thing

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Meet Forest Crosbie


Forest Crosbie, an accomplished athlete and fitness trainer, and the best part is he is vegan. A vegetarian since childhood and transitioning to full vegan a few years ago. As a member of the PlantBuilt Team, Crosbie competed in the 2017 Naturally Fit Games in Austin, TX. The team collectively won 32 medals in various events such as bodybuilding, power-lifting and CrossFit. His accomplishment has added to the growing number of impressive plant based athletes.

What do you do for a living?

I make my living as a personal trainer specializing in plant-based nutrition. Fitness and veganism are two of my greatest passions in life, and I find it very rewarding to combine the two by helping clients to achieve their goals while following a whole-foods, plant-based diet.

What lead you to fitness?

I first got into fitness training at the age of 15, for all the usual reasons: I wanted to get bigger, stronger, gain muscle, etc. Over the years as I gained more knowledge and experience, I came to truly appreciate not only the value of proper training and nutrition, but also of cultivating a healthy lifestyle.

What is your “home” gym? 

I am currently based out of Doherty’s 24/7 Gym, the “Australian Mecca” of bodybuilding. I can be found most days training and working with clients at their headquarters in Brunswick.

How many times a week do you weight train?

Usually 5-6 days per week.

Aside from being vegan, do you adhere to any specific nutrition style? 

I follow a whole-food vegan diet, which means that I try to get most of my nutrition from whole plant foods that are as close to their naturally-occurring state as possible. These foods offer the best nutritional value for the calories consumed, as they tend to be rich in vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and fiber, while being free from the saturated fat, cholesterol, refined sugar, and sodium often found in processed foods and animal products. For that reason I believe this style of eating is optimal not only for short-term athletic performance and recovery, but also for long-term health and well being. Not to mention, whole plant foods are delicious and leave me feeling great!
Do you practice a special diet plan like, if it fits your macros, intermittent fasting, carb cycling etc.? 

Not really, although I have used carb cycling techniques loosely during contest prep. While I don’t follow IIFYM specifically, I do like to allow myself some flexibility with my diet. I like to make sure that at least 90% of my calories each day are coming from healthy whole plant foods, and give myself a little bit of leeway with the other 10% to fit in the occasional treat food. I’ve found that striking this balance makes the process of eating healthfully for my goals much more enjoyable and sustainable in the long term.

Are there any specific supplements that you take, like protein powders, pre-workout mix, any other supplement stack? 

Aside from a vegan multivitamin, the only supplements I use are protein powder and creatine. I believe that consistency with training and diet is far more important than supplementation, but there is some good scientific evidence showing the benefits of protein post-workout for muscle protein synthesis, and creatine for improved performance and recovery during training. I’ve experimented with a variety of different vegan protein powders, but my current favorite is Prana ON Power Plant Protein!
Do you have any more competitions you are preparing for?

I’m currently in the off season for the rest of the year, but I’m looking forward to coming back stronger than ever and bringing my best physique to the stage in 2018!

Are you traveling anywhere where you can meet with people and do fan meet-ups?

I will be travelling back to the USA from February 15-25 of next year for the Holistic Holiday at Sea vegan cruise, which I highly recommend to anyone looking to enjoy a Caribbean vacation while eating gourmet vegan food and learning from some of the top plant-based nutrition experts in the world. Otherwise, I’m always happy to connect and chat with other like-minded individuals on Facebook and Instagram, or at vegan events around Melbourne!

What are your favorite kinds of foods?

I really enjoy preparing and eating simple, healthy vegan meals. Foods like oatmeal, fruit smoothies, sweet potatoes, rice, beans, lentils, tofu,and lots of fresh fruits and veggies make up the vast majority of my diet.

Do you have a favorite cheat food/meal?

Not really. I love making homemade vegan pizzas once a week, but they are so healthy that I wouldn’t call it a cheat meal. I sometimes enjoy the odd vegan ice cream or baked goods, but only on special occasions. I make a point not to bring them into the house!
Do you do anything specifically to prepare for a show or athletic contest that you think would help other bodybuilders?

My advice to other competitors would be to allow yourself more time than you think you need for your prep. That way it will be a more gradual and healthier process for your body, and you’ll have plenty of time to deal with any unexpected setbacks that may occur, without the stress of trying to rush things at the last minute.

Outside of bodybuilding/fitness, do you have any other interests, hobbies etc.?

Outside of bodybuilding, I enjoy spending time with friends and family, travelling, and sampling new vegan foods from all over the world!
Is there anything that you are working on upcoming that you want people to look out for? 

I’m pleased to announce the launch of my new plant-based personal training business, Forest Nash Fitness! I’ve already started taking on clients in the Melbourne area, and have a new website in the works at www.forestnash.com.au. In the meantime, please stay tuned on social media for updates!




http://bit.ly/forestcrosbie

2 comments: